Tuesday 15 April 2008

Hoover. Recent.

Unlike previous posts, this is not a historical event. More of that later. This is a random Dad moan.

Whilst away on holiday for a week, Dad persuades me to leave him a set of keys to my house. I gave him Ns keys and told him this so he would not entertain any ideas about keeping them. The reason he needed the keys was to remove the rubble from the remodelling of the garden. This is extremely helpful and very hard work, although, to be fair, before N went away he made sure the chunks were reasonably small and I then put the reasonably small chunks into reasonably light bags that I could reasonably have removed myself. So, I knew really that he just felt left out that several people have keys and he doesn't.

He doesn't have keys because I strongly dislike him turning up without warning, much less able to get in and catch me mooching about in my pyjamas.

Anyway, to explain what pissed me off I need to set the scene.

N has gone away with the Army, I am trying to make time pass faster until he comes back. To this end I visit my mother, abroad. We are late getting off a late ferry, the little one has barely slept and has a temperature, J is being lovely generally and I am themost exhausted I remember having been. When we arrive home the only parking space is 100m away from the front door. It is also raining. Exhausted, I tell J to carry the little one in for me and I attempt to unload the car as quickly as possible. As such I carry two large bags in each hand and the keys in my mouth. I unlock the front door and pick up the bags again hoping to totter my way through the house and put them out of the way in the dining room.

I trip, bruising my legs and my head. It makes me want to cry real tears because I am already tired. I turn on the dining room light which clearly shows my vacuum cleaner plugged into a socket in the kitchen and left in the middle of the hallway.

No comments: