Tuesday 18 March 2008

Fast forward

New boyfriend A and I have lived in the pretty rented house in an upmarket area for about three weeks when the company he works for announces that his department is being relocated.

After six months we move again. The new location is convenient for one of the universities I applied for. It wasn’t my first choice and my decision is based mainly on its proximity to new boyfriend A’s workplace.

Living in a small flat, A and I begin to dislike each other. Still, we look for a house to buy together. In fact, I am there at his mercy. As a student I have no assets to contribute to a house but we are a couple and have already decided we’re in it for the long haul, so I don’t see that as a problem. I will be able to contribute more when I have a degree, anyway I do all the housework (badly), cooking (badly) and laundry (badly).

I rake through local papers and estate agents’ listings and eventually find a house around the corner which seems to be the right size and right price.

New boyfriend A is able to afford to buy the house because his grandparents are giving him £75,000 for a deposit. Even now, looking at that figure makes me feel dizzy.

We complete in December and intend to move in the first week of January.

After New Year he tells me he doesn’t love me. I can’t remember why I don’t leave then but we move in as planned. In order for me to be able to move in with A, I sign a disclaimer. I will never be entitled to a share of the house’s value. At the time I don’t consider the long term implications of this.

Things pick up, I lose weight and look pretty again. I’m doing well with my degree, though not yet so well that it has gone to my head.

Dad makes a request. A and I are invited to his Royal Navy old boys’ reunion.

Great.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is very Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Very enjoyable. I don't know if it's real or not, but I suppose it doesn't matter much to me. Too bad you quit.